Drew Holcomb’s musical remedy.It took Drew Holcomb some time to find his voice. On his new album, Medicine, which comes out January 27, the Americana tunesmith sounds quite comfortable in his own skin. He says that’s come from more than a decade on the road, playing by his estimate 1,700 shows, but during a recent phone interview the Tennessee troubadour recalled a time when he learned a valuable lesson about being true to himself.At 22, when Holcomb was a green upstart playing for small crowds, he was covering a Ryan Adams’ tune during a short set at a coffeehouse in New York City, when Adams suddenly walked in the door. Holcomb felt an understandable rush of nerves but managed to finish the song. Adams, who was there to see a friend play at the venue later in the night, ended up chatting with Holcomb at the bar after his set and even complimented his sound. But Adams said he noticed Holcomb was taking some obvious cues from his heroes like Steve Earle, and he encouraged the burgeoning songwriter to embrace his own identity.“At the time I was singing with this alt-county drawl, and I even had a bandana wrapped around my wrist like Steve Earle,” admits Holcomb. “He (Adams) offered me a lot of kindness and grace in that moment. He said, ‘you’ve got a great voice, don’t try to imitate other people.’”As the night progressed, Adams was coaxed on stage by the crowd, and he invited Holcomb to sing with him on his “Oh My Sweet Carolina.” It was a big confidence booster, but since then Holcomb has seen his own star rise. Backed by his versatile band the Neighbors, he’s toured with the likes of John Hiatt and the Avett Brothers and sold over 100,000 albums. On his upcoming tour to support his new effort, he’ll be headlining big theaters, including Nashville’s venerable Ryman Auditorium. He also has Southern dates in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia.A native of the Volunteer State, Holcomb grew up in Memphis but now calls Nashville home. During college at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, he started writing songs and playing small bar gigs. At school he also met his wife Ellie, a singer who became an integral part of the Neighbors (though as a new mother she no longer tours with the band). Holcomb and the group have released seven albums, but a breakthrough came with 2013’s Good Light, a critically lauded effort that hit number 5 on Billboard’s Folk Album chart.Holcomb says Medicine is an extension of the progress he’s made comfortably incorporating his smooth vocal delivery within a range of musical styles. He fills the new album—recorded in a fast eight days in East Nashville with producer Joe Pisapia (Ben Folds, KD Lang)—with optimistic ruminations as he moves from poignant ballads like the opening “American Beauty” and “You’ll Always Be My Girl” to the soulful rockers “Shine Like Lightning” and “Sisters Brothers.”“I spent most of my 20s trying to figure out who I was as an artist and what kind of records I wanted to make,” Holcomb says. “With Medicine we really took that to a whole new level. Something about stepping into my 30s and settling domestically with my wife and a kid gave me more freedom to make music that I wanted to make without listening to other voices. There was a purity to the approach, and that brought me back to what made me love making music in the first place.”More everyman than outlaw, Holcomb never lets his lyrics revel in darkness. That’s kept his independent-minded country-rock catalog extremely accessible, landing Holcomb songs on over 40 TV shows, including How I Met Your Mother, Parenthood, and Nashville. Even though he’s experienced plenty of tragedy, including losing his brother to a debilitating illness at age 14, he says his songs have always kept him looking to the bright side.“Music has always been a balm for sadness,” he says. “For me to sing a bunch of songs about really intense painful things would be a little bit dishonest, because that hasn’t been my personal experience. That’s a lot of what this record is about—finding my voice and becoming comfortable enough with it and not try to be someone I’m not.” •WINTER BLUEGRASS FESTIVALNo need to wait for the warmer months to hit your first bluegrass festival of the year. Bluegrass First Class is an annual three-day picking bash that’s taking place February 20-22 at the Crowne Plaza Resort in Asheville, N.C. Held for the past two decades, the fest brings a swarm of traditional bluegrass fans to the hotel for sets from a lengthy list of high lonesome heroes, this year including Rhonda Vincent and the Rage, Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver, the Lonesome River Band, Seldom Scene, Dailey & Vincent, and Flatt Lonesome. Also, certain rooms at the hotel are reserved for picking circles, so bring your instruments. BluegrassFirstClass.com
Professor’s book looks at the courts and the movies Professor’s book looks at the courts and the movies Nova Southeastern University law Professor Anthony Chase, whose work on popular legal culture has appeared in the Wisconsin Law Review, the Yale Journal of Law and Humanities, and the Velvet Light Trap Review of Cinema, has authored a new book, “Movies on Trial: The Legal System on the Silver Screen.”In his book, Chase takes a look at how movies fit into history, politics, and society’s legal values and assumptions. He analyzes various movies, such as Dirty Harry, True Believer, The Verdict, and A Civil Action, using the films to review the beliefs America’s culture has about law and politics, while providing strong historical and intellectual context throughout.“ Movies on Trial is different from my previous book, Law & History, in that it is much less ‘academic,’” Chase said. “It would be a pity to write about something as entertaining as motion pictures the same way you would write about, say, frogs and lizards or the history of crop rotation in the Dakotas.” Movies on Trial: The Legal System on the Silver Screen, with a cover price of $25.95, is available in the United States at most bookstores including Barnes & Noble and on www. amazon.com. July 15, 2002 Regular News
The drive from Santa Ana to Pleasanton, CA, takes just about seven hours.Erin Mendez knows this because she made the drive nearly six years ago, when she left her post as chief operating officer at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union ($15.9B, Santa Ana, CA) to take over the CEO role at Patelco Credit Union($6.9B, Pleasanton, CA).“I left on a Friday and started the following Monday,” she says.Before the opportunity arose, Mendez aspired to lead. Just not as CEO. Before joining credit unions, she worked in thrifts and savings banks where the head leader, to her, was not the CEO. It was the chief operating officer.“My observation was that the COO really ran the bank, so that’s what I aspired to,” she says. “But when I got to credit unions, that’s when I changed my mind.” She came to realize that the CEO role was one in which she could affect the most change. continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr In June 2020, Filene Research Institute hosted a virtual discussion focused on “The Art & Science of Organization.” This two-day discussion with 150-plus senior credit union leaders focused on new sources of friction resulting from COVID-19.During the event, Brent Dixon, senior director of innovation for Filene, hosted a workshop titled, “Introducing the Friction Manifesto,” and participants were surveyed about sources of friction in their credit unions. (Get the results overview here.)It was interesting to me that what these leaders found of most value are the benefits a provider specializing in portfolio protection can offer—ease of use, reduced friction, greater transparency, and more attentive, customized service.What other areas of your credit union are better served by a business partner or vendor that is a specialist versus a multiple solutions provider? And, which areas might gain an advantage going in the opposite direction? continue reading »
Topics : “This happened in small towns — in Portapique, Truro, Milford and Enfield — places where people have deep roots, places where people know their neighbors and look out for one another,” Trudeau said.A “virtual vigil” has been planned for Friday at 7:00 pm (2200 GMT).Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil told public broadcaster CBC that the investigation and the grieving process would be “complicated” by the coronavirus pandemic — and the vast geographic area of the crime spree. Investigators on Monday scoured crime scenes from the worst mass shooting in Canadian history to try to understand why a dental worker with no criminal past killed at least 18 people.The gunman, identified by police as 51-year-old Gabriel Wortman, began his rampage late Saturday in the seaside village of Portapique, Nova Scotia, dying 14 hours later in a hail of police gunfire outside Halifax, 100 kilometers away.”Just how could this happen, we may never know why,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a news conference. ‘Unprecedented violence’ Forensic investigators fanned out to 16 “chaotic” crime scenes across the province that is home to Canada’s Atlantic navy fleet.Some of the victims were not known to the shooter, while others were specifically targeted, said Leather.”It’s too early to tell what the motivation was,” he said. “It appears to be, at least in part, very random in nature.”German Chancellor Angela Merkel led international expressions of sympathy, telling Trudeau in a note: “This senseless and cruel act has shaken us all deeply.”After the first gunshots rang out in Portapique, where Wortman owned two properties, police found casualties inside and outside a home and also responded to a series of blazes.Neighbors told The Globe and Mail newspaper that Wortman set fire to homes and shot residents as they ran out.An acquaintance said Wortman drove to his house in a mock squad car, wearing a police uniform, and banged on the door clutching a rifle and a pistol. “He wasn’t killing enemies, he was killing his friends,” said the man, who hid with his wife and called the police. “He was trying to beat down our door. It was beyond terrifying.”Police said Wortman, still posing as a policeman, later stopped a vehicle near Debert and shot the occupants. “A monster murdered my mother today,” Darcy Dobson wrote in a Facebook post about victim Heather O’Brien, a nurse in Truro.”At 9:59 am [Sunday] she sent her last text message to our family group chat. By 10:15 she was gone. She drove down the same street in the same town she drives through every single day. She was kind. She was beautiful. She didn’t deserve any of this.”Two vehicles were also lit on fire on Highway 102. Constable Heidi Stevenson, a 23-year veteran of the force and a married mother of two, died at the scene. A male officer suffered non-life-threatening wounds and was recovering Monday at home, Leather said. “But we do know this: no one man’s action can build a wall between us and a better day, no matter how evil, how thoughtless, or how destructive.”The death toll, initially put at 16, rose to 18 on Monday, Trudeau said, with police warning that more bodies could be found in the rubble of five burned out homes and buildings. “We expect there to be more victims,” said RCMP Chief Superintendent Chris Leather.Among the victims so far identified were a veteran constable with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, a nurse, an elementary school teacher, prison guards and a retired firefighter. Coronavirus link probed An RCMP tactical team, a dog unit and officers from other police agencies eventually caught up with Wortman — who had swapped cars — at a gas station in Enfield, near Halifax airport.The gunman exchanged fire with police, who “were involved in terminating the threat,” Leather said.Media reports said the shooter was a denturist who owned clinics in Halifax and Dartmouth that were closed as part of the pandemic lockdown.Wortman was also reportedly obsessed with policing, having refurbished several old squad cars, and struggled with alcoholism.”He was one of those freaky guys, he was really into police memorabilia,” Nathan Staples, who once sought to buy one of the vehicles, told The Globe and Mail, describing Wortman’s home as a “shrine” to the RCMP.
“We are seeing rapid growth in the numbers of New Zealanders coming home as the COVID-19 pandemic worsens,” Woods said.”The last thing we need are hastily set up facilities to meet demand.”The government is also talking to other airlines about managing flows, she said.New Zealand’s borders are still shut to foreigners, and citizens and permanent residents have to undergo 14 days of mandatory quarantine. The country has nearly 6,000 people in 28 managed isolation facilities and was planning to scale up more spaces to manage demand in coming weeks.Air New Zealand said it was pausing new bookings for the next three weeks, and would align daily arrivals with the capacity available at isolation facilities.The airline’s domestic services and flights from New Zealand to international destinations would not be affected by the restrictions, the airline said.New Zealand has 22 active cases of COVID-19, all from returning New Zealanders, with no known community transmission. It has recorded 22 deaths from 1,186 cases during the pandemic.Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern declared in early June that New Zealand had eliminated coronavirus but soon after, two women were allowed to leave quarantine early on compassionate grounds and later tested positive for the virus.Ardern quickly called in the military to manage the border facilities. Under pressure for the border blunders, the health minister resigned last week. New Zealand said on Tuesday its national airline will not take new bookings for three weeks as the country looks to limit the number of citizens returning home to reduce the burden on overflowing quarantine facilities.As the COVID-19 pandemic worsens globally, thousands of New Zealanders are returning to South Pacific nation, which is among a handful of countries to have contained the coronavirus, re-opened its economy and restored pre-pandemic normalcy.Bookings on Air New Zealand flights will be managed to ensure the government can safely place citizens into managed isolation facilities, Housing Minister Megan Woods said in a statement. Topics :
By 2020 Bulgaria will have three new specialized vessels for surveying the condition of the Danube River and new equipment for dredging the critical sections, Transport, Information Technology and Communications Minister Ivaylo Moskovski said at Tuesday’s meeting with Romanian Transport Minister Razvan Cuc in Sofia.Minister Moskovski pointed out that a project for the delivery of a multifunctional dredging vessel and the related facilities is currently being prepared, with an indicative value of $12 million with the financing to be provided under OPTTI 2014-2020.“We have selected a contractor for the exploring vessel and it is already under construction”, Moskovski said, adding that regarding the marking vessel the Commission is expected to make a decision by the end of this month.Ivaylo Moskovski also explained that within a few days there will be a contractor selected for another procedure – to carry out dredging activities in the threshold sections of the river over the next 3 years. “The Commission has completed its work and a contract is due to be signed,” he said.The two ministers discussed the acting Agreement between Bulgaria and Romania to maintain the fairway of the Danube River from 1955. The Romanian side has proposed an amendment of the document, allowing each of the parties to carry out dredging activities throughout the Bulgarian-Romanian section of the river.In the words of the Romanian Minister, this will enable the avoidance of critical situations and the interruption of navigation along the river.Minister Moskovski said that he supports the proposal, but it has to be examined whether Bulgarian legislation allows for such an amendment and that the issue is to be resolved at expert level between the two countries.
Area Girls Basketball Scores.Tuesday (11-14)Lawrenceburg 54 Oldenburg 37Seymour 68 Batesville 45Jac-Cen-Del 58 Milan 40South Ripley 63 South Decatur 21Greensburg 68 Shelbyville 27Madison 58 South Dearborn 30Salem 61 SW Hanover 36Brown County 55 Hauser 30Waldron 72 University 65SW Shelby 50 Indy Park Tudor 38Union County 46 Northeastern 43Freshman Girls BasketballLawrenceburg 41 Batesville 20
RelatedPosts Tyson Fury ordered to fight Dillian Whyte before Joshua Chelsea set to sign Germany forward Werner Finishing Premier League season will be good for football – Mourinho Andy Ruiz Jnr has told Anthony Joshua that he should take a break from boxing if he loses to the Mexican again.The pair are scheduled to have a huge rematch in December after Ruiz Jnr took Joshua’s three world heavyweight title belts in their initial fight in New York in June.Ruiz Jnr believes he can defeat Joshua once again when they come to blows in Saudi Arabia and has advised the Briton to step away from the ring if he fails to regain his world titles.“I think he should take a little break if I beat him,” Ruiz Jr told Sky Sports.“Let him recuperate, but one or two losses are not going to make a difference.“He’s still a warrior, he’s still a great fighter, and I’m sure he’ll bounce back.”Joshua recently admitted he had to “grieve” after losing his heavyweight titles to Ruiz in a shock loss at Madison Square Garden.The Briton handed over his WBO, IBF and WBA and IBO belts to the Mexican after defeat in the seventh round having been knocked down four times.He said: “I think I had to grieve and ask myself all the questions you would expect.“People say ‘you lost,’ I call it a blip.“I can’t wait to get in there and fight him. Every time I have fought a champion I have risen to the occasion.” Tags: Sky Sports
RelatedPosts Fulham keen on Lookman loan deal EPL: Calvert-Lewin treble fires Everton past West Brom EPL: Everton set to compound West Brom woes Everton’s Yerry Mina is set to miss the Premier League’s restart after the club said on Tuesday that he would be sidelined for several weeks after sustaining a muscle injury in training last week.The 25-year-old Colombian centre back has been pivotal for Everton’s backline, making 25 appearances in the league this season and also scoring twice in the 3-2 comeback win at Watford in February. “Everton Football Club can confirm Yerry Mina is set to be sidelined for several weeks after sustaining a muscle injury. A scan confirmed the Colombia international suffered a partial tear in his left quad muscle during training last week,” the club said in a statement.Mina is the second Everton player to suffer an injury, ahead of the league’s restart this month.Midfielder Jean-Philippe Gbamin, who has played only two league games this season, will play no further part this campaign after the club confirmed he sustained an Achilles tendon injury which requires surgery.The Ivory Coast international is set to miss six months of action.Everton are 12th ahead of the league’s restart on June 17, following a three-month suspension, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Reuters/NAN.Tags: EvertonJean-philippe GbaminMuscle injuryYerry Mina