Jamaica trounce Guyana by 99 runs in Lauderhill T20 night cricket

first_imgSteven Taylor Last year’s finalist, Guyana, were trounced by Jamaica in the opening round of the 2017 City of Lauderhill T20 Int’l Night Cricket Tournament last Saturday.Under the patronage of the City of Lauderhill Mayor, Richard J. Kaplan and Broward County Commissioner, Dale V.C. Holness, the 15-year-old cricket tradition got off to a thriller in the Cricket Capital of the United States of America-the City of Lauderhill.The Jamaicans won the toss and elected to bat then scored a competitive 181 for 4 in the allotted 20 overs. Jamaica and USA national representative Steven Taylor, entertained the spectators by smashing a whirlwind 61 from 28 balls including three fours and six sixes. Other useful contributions came from Wayne Cuff 28 not out, Omari Williams 21, Sherwin Powell 13 and Sheldon Erving 11.Wayne Cuff scored 28 out of his team’s totalBowling for Guyana, former USA national player Masood Mohammad bagged 3 for 29, whilst Dale Africa took 1 for 26 and Fizul Shariff 1 for 51.In reply, Guyana were dismissed for 82 in 19.2 overs with Vickram Kumar ending on 23 not out. Only two other players reached double figures with Raid Mohammed scoring 17 and Dale Africa 15. Bowling for Jamaica, Steven Taylor grabbed 2 for 8, whilst Elvin Watson collected 3 for 17, Jammie Smith 2 for 6, Herlando Johnson 2 for 18 and Omari Williams 1 for 12.Taylor was awarded Man of The match honors.Through the endorsement of the South Florida Cricket Alliance and Florida Southeast Cricket League, the City of Lauderhill T20 International Night Cricket Tournament has achieved the reputation as one of America’s largest and most-popular night cricket tournaments.last_img read more

Facebook killer at large

first_imgA man who killed a 74-year-old man in Cleveland, Ohio and posted a video of the act on FaceBook, is now being hunted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Cleveland police.The video of the murderous act, was posted on the social media website on Easter Sunday, by a man identified as 37-year-old Steve Stephens.Stephens is believed to be hiding out in Ohio or may have fled to Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, or Michigan.In the video, Stephens pulled up in his white Ford Fusion on a road in East Cleveland around 2 p.m. Sunday and said in the video, “I found somebody I’m about to kill.”The victim identified as Robert Godwin Sir, was seen in the video reportedly looking for aluminum cans when Stephens approached him.“Can you do me a favor?” Stephens asks Godwin before requesting the victim to say the name Joy Lane.“She’s the reason why this is about to happen to you,” said Stephens before he raised the gun and pulled the trigger.Stephen’s mother, Maggie Green, 53, told media reporters she learned of the shooting from her younger son, which prompted her to call Stephens.In a brief phone call Stephens told his mother he was “shooting people” because he was “mad with his girlfriend.”Joy Lane, Stephen’s ex-girlfriend, sent a text to CBS News expressing her sadness for the loss of an innocent life.“We had been in a relationship for several years. I am sorry that all of this has happened. My heart and prayers goes out to the family members of the victim(s). Steve really is a nice guy… He is generous with everyone he knows. He was kind and loving to me and my children. This is a very difficult time for me and my family. Please respect our privacy at this time,” Lane wrote.Authorities said the two men did not know each other.In the video, Stephens claimed to have killed more than a dozen people in what he calls his “Easter day slaughter”, although police said they have not confirmed any other victims. .Cleveland Chief of Police, Calvin Williams, said detectives spoke with Stephens by cellphone after he shot Godwin but had not made contact since.“Obviously, he’s got deep, deep issues. Whether he was calm or not, he committed a heinous crime in this city,” Williams said.The police chief also stated the victim’s family said there are several GoFundMe pages that have been created by people outside the family and have requested the public refrain from contributing to them.The victim’s family is scheduled to give a statement on Monday afternoon. The Facebook killer Ohio man posts video of murder on social medialast_img read more

Seven awarded with Sam Brown scholarships

first_imgThis year the scholarship was given to Camille Robinson, Taisha Saintil, Annessa Prince, Jadyn Holliman, Stephanie Leonard-Jose, Tatiana Pierre-Louis, and John Rincher. These students met the criteria to be considered and awarded the funds and should be considered among the elite scholars in the City and Broward County area.  “We are extremely proud of our scholars every year and look forward to witnessing them excel as successful adult citizens.,” said Mayor Hazelle Rogers. Criteria included being a resident of Lauderdale Lakes for one year before and after application, being a high school senior or a current college student in good academic standing, and the student must be accepted or enrolled in an accredited college or vocational program and the tiebreaker community service hours to name a few. Samuel Brown was a Jamaican born resident of Lauderdale Lakes who became the cities first Caribbean American and black Mayor. He was a student of the Calabar High School in Jamaica. The City of Lauderdale Lakes’ Samuel S. Brown Scholarship Fund provides senior high school and college students residing in the City with financial assistance for educational opportunities.  Named in honor of former Mayor Samuel S. Brown — a passionate supporter of higher education — the scholarship is funded and awarded annually at the Commission’s discretion.center_img The City of Lauderdale Lakes presented seven students with the Sam Brown Scholarship fund at a City Commission Meeting recently.last_img read more

Grenada renames gardens for first Prime Minister

first_imgGrenada renames botanical gardens in honor of first Prime MinisterThe Grenada government has re-named the island’s Botanical Gardens in honor of the country’s first prime minister, Sir Eric Gairy.Sir Eric Matthew Gairy served as his country’s first Prime Minister from its independence in 1974 until he was overthrown in 1979.Gairy was removed from office in the island’s first ever coup in 1979. The extremely charismatic leader was ousted by the left-wing New Jewel Movement (NJM), led by the late Maurice Bishop who became prime minister.Exiled to the United StatesSir Eric went into exile between 1979-83 in the United States and though he returned home, his party failed to return to power in the elections of 1984, 1990, and 1995. The 75-year-old politician died on August 23, 1997.Sir Eric Matthew Gairy Botanical Gardens A government statement issued in Grenada said that the Botanical Gardens has been renamed in honor of “Grenada’s Father of Independence and former Prime Minister” adding it is to be now known as “Sir Eric Matthew Gairy Botanical Gardens.” In addition, a monument has been erected at the entrance of the Gardens honor Gairy.Earlier this year, the then Culture Minister, Brenda Hood, said that the Keith Mitchell government was considering the name change. Many government officials, former parliamentarians and relatives of “Uncle Gairy,” as he was affectionally known to many, reminisced on the former leader during an unveiling ceremony last weekend.Prime Minister  Mitchel,  who Sir Eric once referred to as his political son, said the renaming of the gardens is fitting; as the former leader shaped Grenada. Mitchell challenged present day politicians to take a page from the former prime minister’s book.Fitting tribute“In my view, I think this is a fitting tribute, what we are doing here today to a man who has sacrificed a lot, and who came from the country side in those days without even having a formal education.”For more on Grenada’s first Prime Minister, visit the link: Biography: Sir Eric Matthew Gairylast_img read more

Antiguan PM hints at early general election

first_imgPrime Minister Gaston Browne on Thursday gave his broadest hint that a general election will be held early this year. “I hear a number of individuals on the radio proclaiming to understand my behavior and based on my behavior they are pretty sure the elections will not be called before November or December of this year,” said Browne in Parliament.Matter of weeks“Well, I want to say to those individuals that they need to disabuse their minds of any such notion because the reality is, the elections will be within a matter of weeks.”The Prime Minister made the statement as he tabled the Boundaries Commission (majority) report. However, there were no proposals for any changes to the constituency boundaries.Baldwin Spencer bids farewellMeanwhile, leader of the main opposition United Progressive Party (UPP), Baldwin Spencer bid farewell to the Parliament and  national politics on Thursday.When the house convened Spencer thanked the nation for granting him the opportunity to serve as Prime Minister for two terms.And as the nation anticipates an early election, the ruling Antigua Barbuda Labor Party (ABLP) announced it will be launching its election campaign.Could be this weekendAccording to the Antigua Observer, based on several social media posts, it is anticipated that the Prime Minister will announce the election date on the weekend.The Observer quotes the Prime Minister as saying that the public will get more details about the party’s candidates at an event on Saturday.“We will be having a very exciting concert which will be the launch of our campaign and we will be introducing all 17 candidates to the Antiguan and Barbudan people,” he said.A general election is constitutionally due this year. In the last general election held in 2014, the ALP won 14 of the 17 seats.last_img read more

Miami Arts & Entertainment Council presents its 7th Annual “Paint Me…

first_imgThe Miami Arts & Entertainment Council (MAEC) invites talented Miami artists, art students, up-and-coming artists and art aficionados to participate in its 7th annual art competition, “Paint Me Miami.”“The Miami Arts & Entertainment Council is proud to continue promoting arts and culture as a pivotal ingredient in Miami’s growth as a dynamic international city that is a showcase for emerging artists as well as masters,” said Mercedes Cisneros, member of the MAEC Board and founder of the “Paint Me Miami” Arts Competition.“Paint Me Miami” is an open competition where all artists working in two-dimensional painting media are eligible to enter provided they meet the criteria. To conform to the spirit of the awards, all work must be original and completed within the last two years and must not have won any previous prize or award in any other art competition. This year’s competition is focusing specifically on paintings that are inspired by the City of Miami. Works need to be representational, abstract or figurative, according to the artist’s vision of the City of Miami. For entry form and detailed requirements, visit www.paintmemiami.com. Winners will be announced during the award ceremony and exhibition on Friday, November 2, 2018, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the Arts & Design Gallery, located at 8690 Biscayne Blvd, #2, Miami, Florida.Admission to the event is free. The finalists & winners will continue to be exhibited at the gallery until November 8, 2018. First Prize will include $1,500 and an award certificate. Second prize will include $1,000 and an award certificate, and third prize will include $ 500.00 and an award certificate. All finalists will receive an Award Certificate of Excellence.last_img read more

Jamaican Embassy in Washington DC Reopens for Business

first_imgAll applications and documents are to be mailed or placed in the maildrop area until the section is opened for in-person applications. Up to six (6) persons will be allowed in the waiting area at any given time and they will be required to wear a mask. Only one applicant will be allowed in the interview room. If the applicant is a minor then one parent or guardian will also be allowed. Ambassador Marks said the Embassy will be gradually ramping up services and will be moving back to full normal operations. Bilateral and multilateral meetings to support Jamaica’s Covid-19 recovery programme are now the Embassy’s top priorities. Consular Section Seating availability in the waiting area will be reduced to 6 chairs (with adherence to physical distancing protocols) An appointment-based system for managing walk-in applicants will be available for every 30 minutes beginning at 10:00 am with the last appointment taken at 12:30 pm Jamaica’s Ambassador to the United States and Permanent Representatives to the Organization of American States, (OAS) HE. Audrey Marks has announced the reopening of the Offices of the Jamaican Embassy located at 1520 New Hampshire Avenue in Washington DC. Ambassador Marks said walk-in applicants are strongly encouraged to carry fully completed application forms along with pertinent documents, including passport size pictures for the necessary verification. The Embassy which was closed over the past three months due to a lockdown of Washington DC as a result of the city’s response to the fight against the Coronavirus, re-opened on Wednesday July 1, 2020, and will operate between the hours of 10:00 am – 3:00 pm. While the Embassy is currently processing online consular appointments, the Consular section will not be opened to the public for in-person applications until July 15, 2020. During the period when the section is not opened for in-person applications, the Ambassador said existing applicants will still be allowed to collect passports/documents. All persons visiting the Embassy are required to wear a mask.last_img read more

Ravens not ready to throw in towel on injured Evans

first_imgOWINGS MILLS, Md. — Wide receiver Lee Evans had missed a total of three games in his first seven years in the NFL prior to this season. After already being ruled out for Sunday’s game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, the 30-year-old veteran will double that total at the midway point of his first season in Baltimore. Acquired for a fourth-round pick in a preseason trade with the Buffalo Bills, a left ankle injury has prohibited Evans from providing the deep-threat option the Ravens envisioned. Fans and even coach John Harbaugh have expressed frustration over the “stress” (Evan’s word for describing the injury several weeks ago) in his left foot and ankle that’s caused him to be sidelined since the Ravens’ week 2 loss to the Tennessee Titans. The injury first became an issue in the preseason and was not considered a long-term concern at the time. Evans last tried to practice the week following the bye, but he was sidelined again after the Wednesday practice leading up to the game against Houston. Needless to say, it’s been a nightmarish start to the season for Evans, who envisioned finally being part of a winning organization after years of losing in Buffalo.“It’s very frustrating,” Evans said. “I really haven’t dealt with injury much in my career, so this is new territory for me. But, it’s part of it. It happens to everybody in the game; you have to learn how to deal with it. [I] just look at it as a learning process as well. Certainly, I’m doing everything I can to get back on the field.”Many have questioned how much longer the Ravens should wait before entertaining the thought of placing him on season-ending injured reserve. However, the suggestion seems more an act of frustration than a measured tactic with the season only halfway in the books. With the health dramatically better in the secondary and the Ravens not really having any other long-term injury concerns that would create a roster crunch, there’s no immediate gain from removing Evans from the 53-man roster with only 46 players allowed to be active for games, anyway. “We have not considered that, because we are confident that he will be out [on the field] in the next few weeks and be able to play,” Harbaugh said. “He is making good progress of late. He should play for us before too long.”Even if Evans isn’t available until December, the Ravens would be prudent in exercising patience for several more weeks before making such a harsh decision — regardless of everyone’s level of frustration. With the inconsistency at wide receiver behind veteran Anquan Boldin, Evans’ return would be a welcome addition so late in the season — and could be a difference-maker for the Ravens’ Super Bowl aspirations.last_img read more

AUDIO: I’ll Definitely Play In The NPFL Before I End My Career – John…

first_imgSuper Eagles midfielder John Ogu has told www.busybuddiesng.com he would like to play in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) before retiring from the sport.The 29-year old who currently plays for Israeli champions, Hapoel Beer Sheva, says having high profile players in the domestic scene will help boost the growth and development of the NPFL.“Yeah! For sure, I have this on my mind and I will keep saying it, before I end my career, I will play in our league(NPFL) so as to promote the league,” Ogu stated.“I think this is the right time for us to do this because if you watch the Brazilians, that’s what they do-they go back to their country to make their league big.“So I think we have to learn how to do this and I know before I end my career, even if it is for six months, I will definitely play in the league (NPFL),” he assured.If Ogu features in the NPFL, he will benefit from the Elite Players Project; an initiative of the League Management Company (LMC) launched in 2014 to lure ex-internationals back to the league in addition to other objectives.Ex-Eagles star Sanni Kaita had brief stints with Enyimba and FC IfeaniUbah under the project while former Super Eagles captain, Joseph Yobo was on the verge of signing for Kano Pillars in 2016 before the deal fell though. Audio Playerhttps://www.busybuddiesng.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/John-Ogu-July-14.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.RelatedEXCLUSIVE: John Ogu Reveals Future after Hapoel Be’er Sheva, Plans NPFL ReturnJune 4, 2019In “Nigeria”AUDIO: John Ogu Predicts Tough UCL Playoff Tie Against MariborAugust 5, 2017In “National Team”Why I Left Enyimba – Mfon Udoh (AUDIO)January 13, 2019In “NPFl”last_img read more

Jamie Vardy Confirms Turning Down Arsenal, Says “I’m Pleased With The Decision”

first_img“It was my choice to turn Arsenal down. But if another offer came in, it would be the same in that I would look at it and work out the pros and cons. But, no, turning down Arsenal doesn’t mean I wouldn’t look at another offer.”Asked why he turned down the Gunners, Vardy added: “It was just coming up with the positives and negatives, and I came up with a decision and I’m pleased with the decision I made.”“They had qualified for the Champions League for the last 20 years or something, until last year. That was something to think about. But Leicester were also in the Champions League and on a different night at home against Atletico Madrid we could have gone even further.”Related Leicester City striker, Jamie Vardy has confirmed he turned down a chance to join Arsenal after winning an unprecedented Premier League title with the Foxes’.The 30-year-old, who broke Ruud van Nistelrooy’s record to became the first player to score in 11 consecutive Premier League matches in Leicester title winning season, has also expressed his desire to win more titles before his career runs out.“I want to win as much as possible, I don’t want to only have one Premier League medal in my drawer at home – it would be an empty glass cabinet,”last_img read more

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

    Archives

    Categories

    Meta

    Tags