Fine Lady Bakeries has been ordered to pay £8,000 after plea-ding guilty to polluting the River Cherwell in Banbury with diesel and waste bakery washings.On 8 August, Bicester Magistrates’ Court fined the plant baker £3,000 and ordered it to pay over £5,000 in costs, in a case brought by the Environment Agency.The court heard that, on 27 September, 2005, Environment Agency Officers were asked to investigate the river at Spiceball Park in Banbury after several reports of dead fish and oil pollution.The Environment Agency said in a statement, that its officers saw a 70-metre long oily sheen on the river, with a six-metre long blueish green cloudy discharge coming from a surface water outfall at the park. There were up to 20 large dead fish in the river.Investigations into the cause of the pollution led officers to the Fine Lady Bakeries site where an inspection of the private and public surface water drains was carried out.Joe Street, MD of Fine Lady Bakeries, said: “We’re very sorry if we caused any distress to the fish and we have subsequently put measures in place to stop it happening again.” He said he felt the outcome was fair.Environment Agency officers had previously visited the company on two occasions. According to the agency, officers had highlighted their concerns and made recommendations.Investigating officer David Headon said that if the bakery had followed these recommendations, then this incident may have been avoided. “This was a disappointing fine against a substantial company,” he added.
Equipment supplier Double D Food Engineering has been acquired by the Bonspiel Group, a Scotland-based specialist engineering group.”The old owners did a great job of establishing Double D in the UK bakery market,” new MD Bob Petrie, formerly of NCR, told British Baker. “But we’re really looking to expand the business. It’s going to become much larger, more international and have a greater portfolio range.”Seventy people work at the 40,000sq ft factory. Their jobs are safe, he said. “In fact, our market development and expansion plans mean more jobs will be created in the future.”Current founding directors David Denholm, David Taylor and Douglas Jackson will gradually wind down their involvement in the business over the next six to nine months.There are no plans to consolidate the two businesses, said Petrie. Double D operates from a factory in Edinburgh and Bonspiel from a 10,000sq ft production facility near Dundee. Bonspiel specialises in engineering, making precision components.The Double D equipment range to date includes travelling ovens and retarder provers. Its export sales account for over 25% of its total annual sales.
n Greencore has appointed Jonathan Hodgson as commercial director of its cakes and desserts division. The previous commercial director, Paul Rhodes was appointed as MD of Greencore Cakes & Desserts in 2006. Hodgson joins from Young’s Seafoods where he was account group director managing a team looking after the major multiples.n A new survey claims that 95% of older workers enjoy working with their younger colleagues.Commissioned by Jobcentre Plus, to mark the first anniversary of the Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006, the research found that out of 750 young workers that were questioned, 91% think their older colleagues bring experience, 63% understanding and 58% reliability.n The latest exhibitors to sign up for the Baking Industry Exhibition include California Raisins, Food Tools Inc and CBES Food Systems. The exhibition takes place at Birmingham’s NEC on April 6-9 2008, alongside Food & Drink Expo, the Convenience Retailing Show and Foodex Meatex.n Northern Irish bakery Ormo is to support Help the Aged’s Helping Unite Generations (HUG) Appeal.HUG aims to encourage greater interaction between generations by reaching out to lonely people and Ormo is supporting this by donating 3p on every sale of selected Ormo items. Ormo is also encouraging community groups and organisations to host a fundraising Ormo HUG tea party.n The founder of Eurobuns, Asif Rangoonwala, scooped Retail, Food & Franchise Excellence at this year’s Lloyds TSB Southern Jewel Awards, which celebrate Asian businesses in the UK.
Royal Cosun, parent company of Unifine Food & Bake Ingredients, has bought the French food ingredients specialist Caullet and its exporting business Caulinter for an undisclosed sum. Negotiations had been underway since May.Simon Solway, managing director of Unifine Food and Bake Ingredients (UK), said the Caullet portfolio, including glazes, fondants and toppings, was complementary to Unifine’s existing product range. He added that the deal made the company one of the major players in the European market for bakery, confectionery and ice cream ingredients.In the UK, Unifine is focused on the pastry and patisserie ingredients market and currently has a turnover of £7m.Solway told British Baker that he expected to sell 500 tonnes of Caullet products in 2008 and 1,000 tonnes in 2009.He said Royal Cosun remained acquisitive on behalf of Unifine and was hopeful there would be a deal for a UK-based manufacturer or major distributor in the future.Unifine currently has production sites in seven European countries, but not in the UK.Family-owned Caullet was formed in 1950 and is market leader in France. It has a turnover of E12m, mainly in France, and a staff of 32 at its factory in Erquinghem, near Lille.
Coffee shop chains are to follow Subway’s lead by announcing Food Standards Agency (FSA)-agreed healthy eating commit- ments next year,Subway unveiled a raft of healthy eating pledges on 20 November, which were developed with, and will be monitored by, the FSA. These included reducing salt in sandwiches by 15% by June 2009 and for more than 75% of sandwiches to meet FSA salt targets by 2010.The firm will also look at ways of cutting fat and promoting the fact that the option of salad in sandwiches comes at no extra cost to the consumer.The FSA is now working with UK coffee shop chains on similar commitments, which will be announced in March.Starbucks and Costa both told British Baker that they were working with the FSA on redu-cing fat and salt content in their food.
Co Londonderry-based artisan bakery Genesis Crafty has launched a new Irish Bakery range in Marks & Spencer, after successfully gaining supplier accreditation by the store.The range is now available in 38 stores throughout Ireland and features four-packs of Iced Tops (iced Madeira buns), Jammy Rounds (Madeira buns dipped in raspberry syrup and coated in coconut) and Jam Bakes (pastry cases filled with jam and topped with Madeira sponge), which will sit alongside M&S’ Irish breads and morning goods ranges.Genesis will also supply apple and rhubarb pies, both part-baked and frozen, for bake-off in M&S’ in-store bakeries.”For M&S to have chosen Genesis as a partner is a major vote of confidence in the skills of our bakers and our company values,” commented Brian McErlain, managing director. He added that the firm has already had enquiries from other leading retailers about developing own-brand ranges for them.Genesis is only the 16th food and drink company in Northern Ireland to successfully gain M&S supplier accreditation.
A decrease in food prices pushed the UK Consumer Prices Index (CPI) inflation rate down to 5% last month.The rate for October saw a 0.2% drop from the previous month, which has been attributed to heavy supermarket discounting and good harvests according to the Office for National Statistics. In addition, a 6% reduction in air travel costs on the previous year, along with a fall in petrol prices of 0.5p a litre, were also thought to be contributing factors.Despite the drop, the rate remains well above the Bank of England’s target of 2%, but the government has recognised that inflation rates still remain high.A Treasury spokesperson said: “These are difficult times for households as prices continue to be affected by conditions in the global oil and gas markets.”Retail Prices Index (RPI) inflation also fell to 5.4% from 5.6%.
WhatsApp Twitter (Photo supplied/ABC 57) A man is accused of holding four people hostage at knifepoint and threatening to kill them.It happened on Friday, Feb. 14, at a home on Douglas Road in Osceola.The homeowner said she allowed the suspect, Nathan Hansford, to park his RV on her property for a few days, according to 95.3 MNC’s reporting partners at ABC 57.She said Hansford got angry when someone took his motorcycle and threatened the victims in a pole barn.Police were called. Hansford took off.Inside the RV, investigators say they found suspected meth, drug paraphernalia, a gun and a knife.Police found Hansford nearby. He was arrested on drug and weapons charges, intimidation and criminal confinement. By Jon Zimney – February 20, 2020 0 301 Man accused of holding four people hostage in Osceola arrested IndianaLocalNews Pinterest Pinterest Twitter Google+ WhatsApp Previous articleLongtime Indiana amusement park closes gates after 94 yearsNext articleNappanee man who admitted sexual relationship with minor sentenced Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. Facebook Facebook Google+
Thousands left without power after severe thunderstorms blow through Michiana WhatsApp Google+ @DaveCaulfield_ @ABC57News Grove St and Benton in Mishawaka pic.twitter.com/vfefyMSzJ2— Jenn Zellers 📚 📝 (@jlzellers) May 24, 2020 Twitter @ABC57News @DaveCaulfield_ Mishawaka Avenue between Benton & Webster in Mishawaka pic.twitter.com/J92Bg28Inm— Jenn Zellers 📚 📝 (@jlzellers) May 24, 2020 WhatsApp [825 pm 5/23/2020 update] Isolated thunderstorms continue to move across northern Indiana into southern Michigan. Main threats will be heavy rain with minor flooding and gusty winds to 50 mph. Stronger storms can’t be ruled out, but storms should weaken over the next few hours. pic.twitter.com/Y4BYSn8Czl— NWS Northern Indiana (@NWSIWX) May 24, 2020 @DaveCaulfield_ @ABC57News western mishawaka near river park pic.twitter.com/zzUiaH6yXz— Jenn Zellers 📚 📝 (@jlzellers) May 24, 2020 (Photo supplied/Indiana Michigan Power) More than 11,000 Indiana Michigan Power customers, mainly in South Bend and St. Joseph County, were left without electricity after a line of severe thunderstorms blew through Michiana on Saturday, May 23.Severe Thunderstorm Warnings were issued for portions of LaPorte, St. Joseph and Elkhart Counties in the 7 – 9 p.m. hours.The line of storms boasted wind speeds around 60 m.p.h. and dumped heavy rain on the area.Structure damage, downed trees and tree limbs were reported.A second line of storms that resulted in Severe Thunderstorm Warnings in LaPorte and Starke counties moved through Michiana during the 9 p.m. – 11 p.m. hours. That line of storms also boasts winds topping 60 m.p.h.The National Weather Service also issued a Tornado Watch for several northwest Indiana counties, including Cass, Fulton, LaPorte, Marshall, Miami, Pulaski, St. Joseph, Starke and White. Berrien County in Michigan was also under the Tornado Watch which was in effect until 10 p.m.953 MNC will continue to provide updates as they become available.You can find more weather details here. Follow Indiana Michigan Power outages here.Some pretty crazy storm damage for a 20 minute storm in South Bend! Trees are down and hundreds are without power.We’ll have extensive coverage for you tracking the potential threat of more severe weather tonight on @ABC57News at 10 and 11.⛈📸: Traci Winston pic.twitter.com/5Km1p727SV— Tiffany Salameh TV (@tiffanysalameh) May 24, 2020 Google+ Pinterest Severe Thunderstorm Warning continues for South Bend IN, Elkhart IN, Mishawaka IN until 8:30 PM EDT pic.twitter.com/FIEqb4RudK— NWS Northern Indiana (@NWSIWX) May 23, 2020 Twitter Facebook TAGSnorthweststormtornado watchweather By Brooklyne Beatty – May 23, 2020 0 1524 Pinterest IndianaLocalMichiganNewsWeather Facebook Previous articlePenske CEO: There will be a Brickyard 400 raceNext articleF.O.P. approves proposed 2.5% increase for South Bend Police Brooklyne Beatty
(Jon Zimney/95.3 MNC) As Notre Dame opened voluntary workouts in preparation for the upcoming football season came word that one of its players tested positive for COVID-19.The student-athlete is asymptomatic and self-isolating. After contact-tracing, four other players are in self-quarantine, according to the University.Of the more than 90 players tested, four tested positive for the COVID-19 antibody.As many as 50 staffers, including coaches, athletic trainers and student staff have been tested and all were negative. CoronavirusIndianaLocalNewsSports Pinterest Facebook By Jon Zimney – June 22, 2020 0 250 Google+ WhatsApp Twitter WhatsApp Pinterest Google+ Notre Dame football player tests positive for COVID-19 Twitter Previous articleCity of Elkhart has a new Fire ChiefNext articleSt. Joseph, Elkhart counties’ unemployment rate shrinking Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. Facebook